Friday, April 14, 2017

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

For YA Friday I am reviewing The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco. This book caught my eye for the cover alone, so it would also fit in with my Cover Love segments. When I went on to read the blurb, I was captivated.

The Story-
Tea is a witch, just like the other women in her family. She just doesn't know what type of witch she is until she accidentally raises her brother from the dead. Tea is a bone witch, one who controls death. As a bone witch she will be both feared and revered.

Taken under the wing of an older bone witch, Tea begins her education, with her undead brother by her side as protection. She studies to become an Asha, a witch of special elemental magic. However, competition is tough and political intrigue abounds. Plus, war is on the horizon. Her journey will be one of legend.

My Thoughts-
First off, this book is told as a two-parter, from Tea in the past as she grows and trains and from the current time as a bard that is meeting Tea, now a full Asha bone witch with full powers. At first, I just wanted to stay in the past, to see how Tea became a mighty witch, but as the story continued and I realizef that the Tea in the present is in a strange place, doing strange things, then I wanted to know what had led to her current situation.

This book has everything I love. A girl with mighty powers that trains to be the best, but the establishment is against her, so she must prove herself. The cool part is that with the story being told in two parts, I was able to see so much more of the Tea character. Her romance takes on a deeper meaning when you realize that something happened in the past, because in the present, she is alone with the bard. The tension is high because you just don't know what exactly happened, only that something did. Something that turned her into a hermit living in a cave on the beach and her undead, but utterly devoted brother is no longer by her side.

It's really hard to put into words how the flow of this story works so well. You'll just have to read it! 5 stars!


2 comments:

  1. The cover is spectacular! That alone will some some books. The story sounds fresh and exciting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the cover. That's why I gave it a chance, wow, glad I did!

    ReplyDelete