Monday, May 29, 2017

To Burp or Not to Burp- A Guide to Your Body in Space by Dr. David Williams and Loredana Cunti


Welcome to Middle Grade Monday! Today I am looking at a fun middle grade non-fiction, To Burp or Not to Burp- A Guide to your Body in Space by Dr. Dave Williams and Loredana Cunti.

The Story-
Dr. Dave Williams is a physician and astronaut. He has been on two NASA space shuttles and three spacewalks on the International Space Station.  Of all the questions astronauts are asked by kids, the most frequent one is “How do you go to the toilet in space?”
This book not only answers that question, but many others about the effect of zero gravity on the human body:
How do you brush your hair in space? What happens when you sweat? What does food taste like? The best thing is that the answers are provided by Dr. Dave Williams, a NASA astronaut who speaks from first-hand experience. Written for kids ages 7 to 10, this book uses age-appropriate language to explain the different phenomena that astronauts encounter during a mission. The bright, colorful pages, short blocks of text accompanied by photos and humorous illustrations make this a very attractive choice for young readers. The opening message from Dr. Dave empowers kids to follow his example by believing in themselves and following their dreams. (blurb)

My Thoughts-
Okay, the truth is I chose this book because I wanted to know the answer to how you go to the bathroom in space, and now I know! This book answers all the questions that curious kids and adults have always wanted to know. First up, the potty. Then bathing, teeth brushing, picking your nose, exercising, sleeping, eating and burping. Who knew burping in space was dangerous? It is amazing how things are different in space because of low gravity. The book shows actual pictures taken on the space station of astronauts eating, sleeping etc... There are pictures of space toilets, urine tubes, and sleep bags, all the cool stuff you want to see. I wish the pictures were a bit bigger, but the illustrations do a good job showing you what the actual photos can not.

I was very impressed with this book. It answered all my questions with true facts and details. Embarrassing subjects were covered without bad humor, but educationally and with easy explanations for kids. I think there could have been better layouts, but overall it is a fun, educational and quirky book. Kids will love it! 4 stars!


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one, too. A great non-fiction choice for kids and some of us older kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a terrific book. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great title, and I want to own the book just so I can see it on my bookshelf! Also, I am curious about burping in space. Never thought about it before, but I bet it's a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Burping in space is bad news :)

    ReplyDelete