I had the pleasure of meeting lit agent Kelli Martin at this month's Seattle Writers Workshop. So, let's take a look at this amazing agent.
Who is she?
Wendy Sherman Associates.
What is her publishing experience?
Kelli began her book publishing career over twenty years ago. She started at Simon & Schuster and rose up the editorial ladder at HarperCollins, Harlequin, and Amazon Publishing. At Amazon Publishing, Kelli acquired and edited some of the house’s highest selling, breakout authors and books in romance and commercial fiction; in addition, she served as a founding editor and public face of Montlake Romance as well as Executive Editor at Lake Union.
What is she looking for?
Romance, commercial women’s fiction, and book club / upmarket fiction.
Her advice to writers-
1. Watch chunky, thick sentences. There is strength in simplicity.
2. If things feel distant in your story writing in the first person might make things more immediate.
3. Don't pack the beginning of the story with too much central information. Allow info to be released as the story unfolds.
4. Have a good, strong consistent voice. She likes snappy dialogue and some humor.
5. Write smoothly so that the reader is drawn to the next page.
6. Make it engaging and intriguing, not too heavy with expositions. Ask yourself if you have enough dialogue and character interactions.
How to submit?
Check out the guidelines HERE.
"We only consider queries via e-mail. Please send all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org."
"Don’t call us. We’ll call you if we are interested in pursuing your project."