Welcome to Inside the Publishing World. Today I am looking at Angry Robot Books, a British based publishing house.
What they want- Genre fiction including sci-fi, fantasy, modern/weird sci-fi.
Ages- Post YA and Adult
What they DON'T want- short works such as novellas, short stories, shot story collections or non-fiction at this time. No poetry or plays, graphic novels or anything else that is plainly not a prose novel.
Direct from their mouth- What they want-
"Beyond all of this, what we’re really looking for in your writing is this:
• A “voice”, that comes from…
• Confident writing
• Pacy writing
• Characters that live, have real relationships and emotions, even in extreme situations
• A sense of vision, a rounded universe that lives and breathes
• Clever construction, good plotting, a couple of surprises even for us jaded old read-it-alls
• Heightened experience – an intensity, extremity or just a way of treating plot or situation in a way we’ve not come across before. “Goes up to 11”, if you know what that means."
Submissions- they accept agented submissions, however, once a year they have an open door window. Check out guidelines HERE.